Motive for frenzied killing still a mystery

Old Bailey finds knife attacker guilty of manslaughter

Friday, 1st November 2019 — By Tom Foot

Zahir Visiter

Zahir Visiter was stabbed four times with ‘considerable force’

THE motive for a frenzied knife attack on a young man may never be known, detectives said after the killer was found guilty by an Old Bailey jury.

Kamal Hussain, 22, from Sutherland Avenue, Maida Vale, was found guilty of the manslaughter of 25-year-old Zahir Visiter in St John’s Wood on March 28.

Hussain – who admitted the killing but denied responsibility – is due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey on November 15 after his trial at the same court concluded on Friday.

Detective Sergeant Gary Royal said: “What exactly led to this brutal stabbing may never be known for sure.

“It appears that money that Zahir had with him was missing, but whether his death was motivated by robbery or some other cause may never be known. What can be said is that this appears to have been a planned and brutal attack and the wounds to Zahir were found to have been delivered with considerable force.

Kamal Hussain

“I would like to thank all those who came to Zahir’s aid and all those who co-operated with the investigation.

“I hope that today’s verdicts bring some closure to Zahir’s family, who have been deeply traumatised by his loss.”

Zahir had told his family that he was going to a meeting near his flat in order to hand over some money.

He had left the flat with about £280 in cash but was stabbed four times with “considerable force” in the back and arm and chest, police said. He was found by passers-by lying in Cunningham Place next to a trail of blood.

An off-duty paramedic and GP tended to him but he died in St Mary’s Hospital.

CCTV showed Hussain on a rented bicycle close to Zahir’s home and later running away along the Regent’s Canal towpath toward Lisson Grove.

A knife was found in the canal and Hussain’s abandoned balaclava, which led to him being identified.

Plain-clothed police officers on patrol spotted him in Lisson Grove estate and chased him toward the Regent’s Park Mosque, which he entered through an underground car park.

He changed clothes before leaving the mosque but was later arrested.

Related Articles